Transfer and Test Credit

Evaluation of Transfer Credit from U.S. Institutions

The Office of Registration and Records administers the NDSU policies governing the acceptance of college credit from outside institutions. These requirements apply to returning students who have attended other institutions, as well as new NDSU students. Before credits may be evaluated for specific NDSU course equivalency or application to programs of study, transfer courses must be accepted for university credit according to the following guidelines:

  1. College-level coursework from regionally accredited colleges or universities (or equivalent for international institutions) is eligible for acceptance in transfer.
  2. Courses will not be accepted in transfer to replace any grades or credits earned at NDSU. If a course is completed at NDSU and an attempt is made to repeat that course elsewhere, the credit is considered duplication and is not eligible for transfer.
  3. Credit for a remedial course is not accepted for transfer if the course is remedial by definition of the transferring institution or if it is equivalent to a remedial course at NDSU. It may, however, fulfill prerequisite requirements, if applicable.
  4. Credit will be evaluated not only as it appears on the transcript, but also on the basis by which the credit was initially awarded by the sending institution. Credit by examination, credit awarded via placement, or life experience credit awarded by another institution is not accepted in transfer.
  5. The Office of Registration and Records determines the applicability of transfer credit toward NDSU general education requirements according to institutional and North Dakota University System guidelines.
  6. College-level credits that do not have course equivalents at NDSU will be accepted as free electives and may count only toward total credits. An academic department may determine whether these transfer electives may satisfy specific curricular requirements through a course substitution process. (See also General Education Administrative Policies.)
  7. NDSU requires that a minimum of 37 credits toward a baccalaureate degree be earned at the junior or senior (300- and 400-level) level. Therefore, while a freshman- or sophomore-level (100- or 200-level) course transferred from another institution may satisfy a specific upper-level program requirement at NDSU, that course will not be counted toward the 37-credit upper-division degree requirement.
  8. Transferable courses with 'D' grades or above will be accepted by the university; however, many colleges and departments have higher standards to determine course applicability toward their respective majors and programs.
  9. The name of transfer institutions and total credits accepted by NDSU will be indicated on the official NDSU transcript. Individual transfer courses are not detailed on the academic transcript, but are provided in an official transfer evaluation and academic advisement report after admission to the university.
  10. Total transfer credits are converted to semester credits, if applicable.
  11. Transfer grades are not recorded nor computed in the institutional cumulative GPA. They are used only for purposes of admission to the University, admission to certain programs, and for some scholarships and financial aid.

Evaluation of International Transfer Credit

According to North Dakota University System policy and effective for all students beginning January 2013, international transcripts must be submitted to an approved evaluation service. Such an evaluation is the sole responsibility of the student. International evaluations must be submitted according to the guidelines listed below. The guidelines for the evaluation of transfer credit listed above also apply to international transfer credit.  NDSU students participating in an approved study-abroad program are not required to submit transcripts from study abroad experiences to an evaluation service.

  • Students must submit official transcripts to one of the following approved evaluators: the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers (AACRAO) International Education Services, a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or a member of the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE).
  • Official transcript(s) issued in English must be submitted to NDSU in addition to the evaluation unless the evaluation service provides certification of student documents and sends copies of transcript(s) to NDSU. Currently World Education Services (WES) is the only organization that provides NDSU with the required, certified documentation.
  • New transfer students who have completed coursework at an institution outside the United States must submit transcripts to an approved evaluation service for a course by course evaluation.
  • New international students should send evaluations directly to the NDSU Office of International Programs.
  • New domestic students or United States permanent resident students should send evaluations directly to the NDSU Office of Admission.
  • Current NDSU students who have completed coursework at an institution outside the United States also must submit transcripts to an approved evaluation service for a course by course evaluation.
  • Current NDSU students should send evaluations directly to the NDSU Office of Registration and Records.
  • In order to expedite international credit evaluation processing, students should request that course descriptions for all completed coursework be sent directly from the international institution to the NDSU Office of Registration and Records.

Common Course Numbers

Institutions in the North Dakota University System have established common course numbers (CCN) to facilitate transfer within the University System. Under the CCN agreement, transfer students who have successfully completed CCN courses will not be required to retake them at NDSU unless their degree program requires a higher grade. However, CCN courses will not fulfill residence requirements nor will 100- and 200-level courses fulfill upper-division requirements for graduation.