Major: Art Education
Degree Type: B.S.
Required Degree Credits to Graduate: 122
General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree
- A list of approved general education courses is available here .
- General education courses may be used to satisfy requirements for both general education and the major, minor, and program emphases, where applicable. Students should carefully review the major, minor, and program emphases requirements for minimum grade restrictions, should they apply.
|College Composition I|
|College Composition II|
|Fundamentals of Public Speaking|
Upper Division Writing †
|Quantitative Reasoning (R) †||3|
|Science and Technology (S) †||10|
|Humanities and Fine Arts (A) †||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences (B) †||6|
|Wellness (W) †||2|
|Cultural Diversity (D) *†|
|Global Perspectives (G) *†|
May be satisfied by completing courses in another General Education category.
May be satisfied with courses required in the major. Review major requirements to determine if a specific upper division writing course is required.
|Art Education Requirements|
|ART 210||Art History I (May satisfy general education category A)||3|
|ART 211||Art History II (May satisfy general education category A)||3|
|Professional Education Requirements|
|EDUC 321||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|EDUC 322||Educational Psychology||3|
|EDUC 451||Instructional Planning, Methods and Assessment||3|
|EDUC 481||Classroom Practice Methods of Teaching I: (Art)||3|
|EDUC 482||Classroom Practice/Methods of Teaching II:||3|
|EDUC 485||Student Teaching Seminar||1|
|EDUC 486||Classroom Management for Diverse Learners||3|
|EDUC 487||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 488||Applied Student Teaching||3|
|EDUC 489||Teaching Students of Diverse Backgrounds||3|
|Teaching Specialty Requirements|
|Studies in Art History|
|ART 451||History of American Art||3|
|or ART 453||Topics in Art History|
|ART 452||Contemporary Art||3|
|Studies in Studio|
|ART 120||Painting I||3|
|ART 122||Studio Technology Foundations||3|
|ART 124||Foundations of Design||3|
|ART 131||Foundations Drawing||3|
|ART 150||Ceramics I||3|
|ART 160||Sculpture I||3|
|ART 170||Printmaking I||3|
|ART 180||Photography I||3|
|ART 185||Graphic Design I||3|
|ART 230||Drawing II||3|
|ART 330||Drawing III||3|
|Art Studio or Art History Elective: Select 3 credits||3|
|Intermediate Studio Course: Select 3 credits from the following:||3|
|Digital Image and Output|
|Graphic Design and Digital Media|
|Upper Division Studio Electives: Select 3 credits from the following:||3|
|Topics in Photography|
|Topics in Graphic Design|
|Advanced Figure Drawing|
|Advanced Graphic Design|
|Individual Study (IS may be used toward the upper division studio electives. IS can be taken in Ceramics, Digital Media, Drawing, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, or Sculpture)|
|Baccalaureate Project: 3 credits||3|
|Baccalaureate Project (Capstone)|
Degree Requirements and Notes
- Courses taken P/F may not be used to satisfy any requirements.
- GPA of 2.75 or better in the teaching specialty is required for placement in student teaching and exit from the program.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all Professional Education Requirement courses.
- A GPA of 2.75 or better in professional education as well as passing the appropriate Praxis II exam are required to exit the program.
- See School of Education for admission requirements.