Grades of Incomplete
Under extraordinary circumstances and at the discretion of the instructor, a student may be assigned a grade of Incomplete (I). The following policies apply to Incomplete grades:
- The grade of Incomplete is assigned to indicate that satisfactory work has been completed up to within five weeks of the semester end, and that circumstances beyond the student's control prevented completion of the work. The time period is proportional for variable length courses and summer session.
- The grade of Incomplete is not to be given in any instance where the student has a deficiency of more than five weeks (or equivalent) of work including final exam week.
- Grades of Incomplete are initiated by student request. The student must contact the instructor, request an Incomplete grade, and, upon instructor approval, make arrangements to complete the work.
- The grade of Incomplete (I) is an administrative grade that may only be entered by the Office of Registration and Records, except in courses designated as practicum, internship, individual study, field experience, or study abroad.
- An Incomplete Grade Reporting Form detailing the work to be completed, expected completion date, and grading standard is to be signed and dated by both the instructor and the student. The form is to be submitted to the Office of Registration and Records by the grade submission deadline for the semester in which the course was taken. It is advisable that the instructor, student and adviser retain copies of this form for their records.
- Grades of Incomplete, including those for most course types identified in #4, must be removed no later than the end of the seventh week of the next full semester (fall or spring). The time period is proportional for variable length courses and summer session.
- Grades of Incomplete are removed when the student has completed all course requirements and the instructor of the course files a Grade Reporting Form with the Office of Registration and Records.
- All grades of Incomplete that are not removed within the specified time are automatically changed to 'F' grades by the Office of Registration and Records.
- Instructors may specify completion deadlines for remaining work on the Incomplete Grade Reporting Form earlier than the standard deadlines.
- Requests for extensions beyond the seventh week of the next full semester require approval by both the instructor and the chair of the department offering the course. The extended deadline must be indicated on the Incomplete Grade Reporting Form and may not exceed two Incomplete conversion/deadline cycles. If a grade is not submitted by the specified deadline, the Incomplete grade will convert to a grade of 'F'.
- Grades of Incomplete, which convert to grades of 'F', earned in the last semester of attendance by a student who leaves the university for two or more years may be changed to Withdrawn ('W') upon re-enrollment. Requests for this privilege must be filed with the Office of Registration and Records during the first term of re-entry.
- An Incomplete grade may be converted to a letter grade (or P/F, S/U) according to the above guidelines, but may not be expunged from the record.
- Students may not register in courses in which they currently hold grades of Incomplete, except for courses that are repeatable for credit.
- Students are not allowed to graduate with Incomplete grades on their academic records. Upon graduation, unconverted Incomplete grades will convert to grades of 'F'. If a course in which an Incomplete grade was assigned is required for graduation, the instructor may extend the deadline according to the above procedures and timelines, and graduation will be postponed.
- Students who receive grades of Incomplete or converted grades of F may appeal disputed grades in accordance with NDSU Policy, Section 337: Grade Appeals Board .