This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Degree Types and Diploma Information

Degrees Awarded at NDSU

A degree is the title of the credential that the university confers on a graduate who has completed university requirements for graduation. Most undergraduate degree recipients at NDSU earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree, however, many programs of study result in a specialized degree. Students may also pursue a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, if available for their selected major, by completing the Bachelor of Arts Requirements Using a Second Language and/or requirements as specified by their academic college on the program curriculum guide.

NDSU confers the following degrees at the undergraduate level:

  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
  • Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (B.L.A.)
  • Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.)
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (B.S.A.B.En.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Architecture (B.S.Arch.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (B.S.C.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (B.S.Cpr.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Construction Engineering (B.S.Con.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Construction Management (B.S.Cons.M.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (B.S.E.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering and Management (B.S.I.E.Mgt.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Manufacturing Engineering (B.S.Mfg.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (B.S.M.E.)
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.)
  • Bachelor of University Studies (B.U.S.)

In addition, NDSU awards graduate degrees at the following levels:

  • Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
  • Education Specialist (Ed.S.)
  • Master of Accountancy (M.Acc.)
  • Master of Architecture (M.Arch.)
  • Master of Arts (M.A.)
  • Master of Athletic Training (M.A.Trg.)
  • Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
  • Master of Construction Management (M.Cons.M.)
  • Master of Education (M.Ed.)
  • Master of Engineering (M.Engr.)
  • Master of Music (M.M.)
  • Master of Managerial Logistics (M.M.L.)
  • Master of Natural Resources Management (M.N.R.M.)
  • Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)
  • Master of Science (M.S.)
  • Master of Software Engineering (M.S.E.)
  • Master of Transportation & Urban Systems (M.T.U.S.)
  • Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.)
  • Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)
  • Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
  • Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)


A certificate program is a specialized course of study requiring at least 16 credit hours at the undergraduate level or eight credit hours at the graduate level. Certificates may be earned while in pursuit of a degree or as standalone programs of study. Prospective students interested in certificate programs, but not seeking a degree, must be accepted to the university. Contact the Office of Admission or the Graduate College for further information. Curricular requirements and verification forms are available in academic departments offering certificates. Completed forms must be signed by the appropriate department chair (and Graduate College, if applicable) and submitted to Registration and Records in order for the certificate to be posted to a student's academic record and official documentation issued.

Degree Posting

Degrees are posted to academic records three times per academic year - at the close of each term. Conferral date is the last day of finals week. Degrees are posted to the academic record approximately three weeks following the close of the semester in which degree requirements were successfully completed.  Students must declare their intent to graduate, identifying all programs of study, with the Office of Registration and Records or the Graduate College.


Diplomas are mailed approximately six weeks following the close of the academic term in which graduation requirements have been completed. Neither diplomas nor official transcripts will be released for students who have outstanding debts owed to the university or who have select other holds. Students are responsible for submitting name and address updates for diploma processing. A diploma replacement service is provided by the Office of Registration and Records for those who have lost or damaged their original diploma.